9.17.2008

A Heart of Gold

And a kidney of stone. I'm being dramatic. It's not entirely made of stone. But Josh did have his first ever kidney stone last night. I take some prescription pills that are supposed to make me feel less nauseous. I am not convinced they work, but I'm not really willing to skip one just to see if I can possibly feel worse. So I took my night time pill around 8pm. This is a night time pill for a very specific reason--this lil' joker knocks me out.

Around 12:30am Josh awakens me and says he thinks he has a kidney stone and that he needs to go to the hospital. I would like to claim the sleepy pill as my defense, b/c I believe my first response was to ask him to wait and see his doctor in the morning. He informed me this was not possible and I groggily tried to figure out what we were even discussing in the first place.

In retrospect it may not have been wise for me to drive, but my adrenaline kicked in and I took advantage of our "emergency" as I clicked on my flashers and happily broke the speed limit through town. Thanks to our new small town lifestyle, the hospital is all of 3 minutes away and upon our arrival I was worried b/c it looked like they were closed. But lucky for Josh there was one doctor and two nurses in a SILENT emergency department. It was the quickest ER experience I've ever had. They did a CT scan, determined the stone to be small, gave Josh some shots for pain and sent us back home. Overall, the whole ordeal only took about 2 hours. It was simply unfortunate those 2 hours occurred in the very middle of the night.

Josh may not appreciate my telling this story on the blog, but in my new life of working and laying in bed, very little happens. I mean, if this hadn't occurred last night, I don't know if I would even have an update today.

I did take one picture this week. Sugar is the one family member who is ecstatic about my new bed-ridden lifestyle b/c she knows I'm a sucker and if she wags her little tail just right, I will put on the fur-catching sheet and let her hop up and join me.


We head back to the OB tomorrow, so next week will have a fully detailed Poppy update!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Poor Josh. I hear that a man having kidney stones is the closest they could come to trying to deliver a baby. So, good luck Josh! I feel sorry for you both, but I pray that you'll be alright! Love you!

Lindsey Oliver said...

First off -- CONGRATS!!!! I haven't had a chance to congratulate you both on your big news.

Secondly, I'm so sorry you are sick. I know it's little consolation when your head is swimming and your gut is wrenching, but it really is a good sign. :)

Third, I'm happy to hear Josh is feeling better.

You two will make the BEST parents.

Kim said...

Poor thing! =(

Jenny said...

I'm waiting for Poppy.