11.19.2008

Hormonal Havoc

I'll be honest. I love the baby within me, but the side effects of Poppy's presence have not all been pleasant. Overall, I would say my pregnancy is normal and things have been going well. It's just that this is my first baby and I may have been a bit naive in my expectations of what pregnancy would be like.

I admittedly have not handled all changes with a mature and faith-based mindset. I cried the day I saw a stretch mark. I cried the morning the mechanic called to say he can't figure out why Max won't start anymore. And then I cried again when the receptionist at the OB/GYN told me my insurance company wasn't paying.

It seems my 2nd trimester has doomed me to emotional instability. I am not a cryer by nature, I purposefully keep all tears private and to myself. I will not cry in a movie theater or at church or even around my family at times. I am proud. Probably prideful to a fault. So these unstoppable Poppy-induced tears are a bit alarming and unexpected. I can giggle at myself...after the fact. And I know God will continue to use my child to teach me all sorts of things about myself and humble me into a person more reflective of Christ.

Though I still question how the enlargement of my behind to match my ever-growing stomach is going to teach me any spiritual lessons. I am beginning to think I am carrying twins, one in my stomach and one in my hind-end. I mean, maternity pants weren't made for the girls with junk in their trunk prior to pregnancy. (I do apologize to any male readers, though I think there are few, the title of this post would've scared you away long ago.)

So here's a belly shot. I do feel the need to explain that I am "sway back" and have been since I was a wee little girl. Pregnancy enhances this fine quality and actually makes my belly poke out even more...and creates back pain.

I am not sure what I am looking at. Probably at the top of the ceiling, checking for lady bugs. When the weather turned cold we had a SERIOUS infestation of lady bugs and they would congregate at the ceiling/wall corners. It is normal for this area, but has forever changed my opinion of my Phi Mu friends' mascot.

Speaking of cold weather, here is the snow that was on the tallest mountain peaks Sunday. I am being told this will be a "bad winter" but I am not worried b/c that will work out just fine for me since I'm reading about how hot natured I will become as Poppy grows.

We're heading to Nashville this weekend for the youth workers convention. Hopefully I'll be able to keep a hold on myself, but if not, I think I appear pregnant enough that no one will wonder why I am crying and will just give me sweet smiles of sympathy. :o)

**Random side note: if you're blog has a * beside it on my blog roll, it is simply there to remind me that your blog didn't link up to my bloglines account...how I check most blogs for updates. But I was neglecting those unlinked blogs and couldn't seem to remember who wasn't linked...and that was my creative personal solution to the problem. And if it makes you feel better you can also think that your blog is extra special.**

13 comments:

Alison said...

Donna, you are absolutely precious and I am still smiling after reading this. Take solace in that most of us have some pretty amazing gestation sensations that lead us to act "preggo" but it's all part of the fun. I started crying while waiting behind a school bus letting kids off because I am not ready to send my little one to school! Ha! Crazy stuff, I tell ya!

Ms. Julia said...

So, I think the crying was definitly the most surprising thing about my pregnancy!! I'm so a "closet cryer" like you and I was surprised at uncontrollable tears that were brought on by pretty much anything. Truly crazy!So, you are definlty no alone in the experiance!

Kelly Ford said...

I'm so relieved that someone else isnt loving pregnancy. i felt like i was the only one... although, i'm sorry you're not loving every second either! I'm like you, i'm amazed... and a little wierded out by all the changes.
I think you're looking beautiful, donna. And your baby is gonna know that you, his/her mommy, is the most beautiful mommy in the world. Isn't that precious?!
Now i'm crying, too. Seriously, 2nd trimester tears have overtaken me, too! CRAXZY!

morgan collins said...

what the heck...I wanna star!! jk:)

HP said...

Oh dearie - I'm sorry about the pregnancy tears, but I happen to believe that crying is cleansing. I'm all about the waterworks so let the flood gates open. Love the update! Love you!

Katy said...

You look so wonderful - I swear if you could bottle that pregnancy glow that you have going on you could make a fortune. I prefer to think of tears as my own personal baptism. It's very cleansing to the soul. I will continue to keep you and Poppy in my prayers.

allison said...

Girl I'm not a cryer and I cried at the drop of a hat during my pregnancy...too bad you weren't around to see all that. The hormones are insane and the ever growing body does not help...all the "you look great" comments from folks can't change the fact I would never return to the "normal" body I had before WITHOUT STUPID PURPLE LINES ALL OVER MY MID-SECTION. So, just a reminder that if you need to cry, you cry, but do know that once Poppy comes along all the tears are then reserved for sweet tender moments with your precious child. Love you girl and appreciate your sharing.

Hollie Carson said...

Donna, I just love you. Man, how much fun would it have been if we both could have been pregnant together and living near each other. That would have rocked. Okay, I can't read a crying pregnant story and not tell one of my own. Toward the end of my pregnancy with Laney, Hugh and I went to our OB app't. I think it was month 8, so I just closed out month 7 and was at the 8th month app't. I cried HARD CORE all the way home from the app't because I had gained 8 lbs in three weeks. Poor Hugh. He was so sweet, telling me every sweet thing in the book to get me to stop crying, as a husband should be telling his pregnant, sobbing wife. Finally, I quit heaving and regained composure. I held in the tears while in front of my OB, but got beet red when I asked him about WHY I gained so much. He said it HAD to be water weight because noboday can gain 8 lbs in three weeks. I wanted to give him about $50 dollards worth of my mind at that moment. Hilarious.

And then, I cried IN PUBLIC this time coming back from the OB when I was 37 weeks and was told that Laney was breech and that I needed to call and schedule a c-section. I had to stop by Babies-R-Us on the way home, but I was sobbing hardcore. But I walked right in, crying so hard, yet shield my eyes. I remember walking straight into the clothes section and called Hugh to tell him. I then walked back to the glider section and just took a chill pill in the glider while talking to Hugh. Again, I was crying pretty hard at this point. But hey..I was large and in charge being all of 9 months pregnant. You can play that card anywhere and it still be okay. :) Fun stories.

This HAS to be the longest blog comment in the history of benecyber.

Hollie Carson said...

Haha...oh and as I asked Hugh what stories he remembers of me crying while prego, he said, "I don't know babe. But I know you cried after the birth."

I DIED laughing because I cried ten days straight. Well..wait....I cried and then I laughed until I was bent over and then I cried and then I laughed and then.....it was one extreme to the other extreme for 10 days. Poor Hugh. Poor Mama Santiago. After 10 days....it lifted and I once again had control of my emotions. But I did cry one and off for 3 months b/c of nursing problems. Once I surrendered to My Breast Friend, Medela, my crying days were over.

Kim said...

Those are ALL things to cry about! Sorry it hasn't been going well thus far. =(

Sara said...

The hormones seem to go on and on. I think the crying is the worst during pregnancy, and the sweating is the worst postpartum. I would seriously be BURNING UP HOT all of the sudden for no apparent reason. Very annoying. I nursed until about a month ago, and I think my hormones are now returning to something approaching normal.

April said...

I would like to say that the tears go away as your body returns to normal after pregnancy...ok, let me even rephrase that...the "new" normal (not everything will go back exactly the same, you just buy higher waisted jeans!). I too was one that NEVER cried...EVER! Then I became a military wife and it softened me a little...pictures of homecomings, funerals, that kind of thing would bring a tear to my eye. Then, I had Madeline. I cry at the drop of a hat...still....Abigail didn't help the matter. I never understood why my mom cried during The Little Mermaid. Now I know...she's a mom!

Anonymous said...

I remember this one time when Laura was in the second trimester and I watched the Dawgs play in Athens against Bama and all I could do was cry for the last three quarters.
Kevin B