We've Broken Up
Tom Tom and I. He did me wrong. WAY wrong. The drive to Louisville, KY should take us about 6.5 or 7 hours. Then we add in a feed and stretch stop for lil' bean.
The trip there was pretty good, Marah slept a lot and only fussed the final hour. She did really well during the hotel stay, all things considered. She cried each night at bed time but other than that, she just wowed the crowds with her sweetness.
The convention was fun, Josh did a bunch of preacher stuff and Munchkin and I tagged along. Part of the reason Marah and I went was because some of our best seminary buds were also attending.
We had a few rough patches, like the night I got SUPER sick from a salad at a restaurant. Who needs a month long de-tox diet when you can totally clean out your system in a matter of hours?
Then Josh had some life threatening heart burn that required a 3a.m. trip to Thelma's Deli for milk. Thankfully ol' Thelma set up shop within our hotel walls.
We left KY around 4p.m. and were aiming to get home around 11p.m. Something went awry, a turn was missed and we followed Tom Tom's new directions. Straight down the road of death. It was the twistiest, windiest, stomach turning road I think I've ever been on. And I live in the mountains.
Mare Bear was trying to sleep but having a tough time. I had to roll up just about every cloth item in her diaper bag to line her car seat so she wouldn't flop around. Then I sat in the back seat to hold her car seat as Graco evidently didn't do any test drives on this stretch of Tennessee road.
She was holding on for dear life.
Yes. I sat in the back seat. Oh the sacrifices we make for our children. This only added to my trip down memory lane of pregnancy sickness.
We did arrive home around 11p.m. but learned a most valuable lesson. Do not take Tom Tom at his word, he can be deceptive. Do not blindly follow his "recalculated route."
We are laundering and re-packing for another road trip to visit family. But we're leaving Tom at home. We need some space.
4 comments:
You are so funny. I love your humor. Breaking up is hard to do...just be careful and don't rebound!
I hear ya! We have a Garmin we affectionately call 'Lola'. She's treated me right around Ithaca, but get's really ticked if you deviate from 'her way'. The word 'recalculating' is like fingers down a chalkboard ;)
donna - your post has me in stitches...and hopefully i'm laughing WITH you! I'd have to say my favorite part was the 3am trip to Thelma's! I have had a few near-death experiences with the "garmin" several which involved throwing and profanity! OOPS!
The moment I read your post I knew what stretch of road you are referring to....the dragon's tail is what it is called. Hwy 129 thru Tennessee. yikes!!
Post a Comment