9.17.2009

Dear Donna

Why do people think that the phrase "just wait until you have kids" should make me look forward to having them?

Dear Fun-Lovin’ & Carefree-Cause-I-Don’t-Have-Kids-Yet,

My friend. I speak from experience here. About 5.5 months of experience. It may not be much in parenting years, but at times, it feels like an eternity.

It’s true. I have no idea what I did with my days before my sweet lil’ girl arrived. What did we do on the weekends? Did I really sleep in past 8am? How did I ever know what love truly was until I saw her precious face?

Sigh. I love her. So very much. We’ve been known to sneak into her room at night to just stare at her peaceful face, fast asleep.

We’ve also been known to be sleep deprived, frustrated, tired, impatient and grouchy.

But like everything in life, there are ups and downs, good times and bad. But the ups BY FAR outweigh the downs in our family.

A long time, or 6 years ago, I was a starry eyed engaged girl. I was frustrated by those that wanted to ruin my rosy visions of marriage with their harsh realities by telling me it was “hard work.”

Obviously they had not been watching Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica to see how very much fun marriage was!

And we see how well that turned out.

My point is this. I was let down by all of the honesty from the old married folks. But they were speaking truth. A truth I would very well learn within say 24 – 48 hours of being married.

God calls us to be selfless. And that is hard work. God calls us to love others. And that is hard work. God calls us to spread His Truth. And that is hard work. God calls us to be like Christ. And that is hard work.

I don’t think the parents mean to give you a Debbie-downer picture of parenthood. Maybe they’re venting. Maybe they’re jealous of your freedom to travel, stay up late and say words like ice cream, candy and chocolate without having to spell them out.

Or maybe they wish someone had been brutally honest with them. Told them it would be hard work and challenge them in ways they’d never been challenged before.

But no matter the challenges, heart aches or frustrations I would never trade my current way of life for the no-babies-yet-years. Each day is filled with watching my baby grow and discover the world. And nothing can beat those early morning grins and night time snuggles.

I say all this sappy stuff to encourage you as you ponder embracing the mommy-hood challenge you’ll never ever regret.

And also to hurry you on up. Go ahead, pop out some babies already.

Cause then you can do stuff like this.

3 comments:

Kelly Ford said...

Thats flippin HILARIOUS!!!!

I gotta tell you, Dear Donna, that my advice to not yet parents is always this:
enjoy the season you are in. enjoy being without kids. enjoy being just husband and wife. and when you have kids, enjoy being a husband and wife who are also parents to an amazing miracle of a child. no matter the season you are in, enjoy it. because its likely that you'll not experience it in the same way again :-)Dont rush any of it, because its all too fleeting. And its all wonderfully challenging and difficult and FUN. Life is good. No matter the season.

Caleb & Kimberly said...

Donna, You CRACK ME UP! I miss you spending time with you up here in WF! Caleb and I are so happy for you guys! So, are you saying that Caleb and I should go ahead and have kids ;)?

Kim said...

Poor, poor Marah. ;)