Dear Donna
Dear Donna,
What should I do when my boyspouse wants to play video games for hours instead of doing other needed manly tasks or going to bed at a proper time?
Dear Reader,
I had to ask around and complete hours of internet research to even begin to relate to this problem. It’s like you were speaking a foreign language to me.
I have no idea what it’s like to repeat things numerous times because my husband is engrossed in video games. I have no idea what it is like to talk to my friends via Skype because our husbands are all talking to one another while they pretend to be cartoon characters. Really. I have no idea.
I found a bazillion forums regarding this issue. Some encouraged divorce or to stop acting like a wife if he isn’t going to act like a husband. It was quite extreme. There was a lot of venom and anger spewing from my computer screen and I had to click on the little red x.
But before I closed out of the gamer haters convention, I found this little nugget of advice…“You should start playing the game also, if only to build a more powerful character and destroy all of his hopes of ever using the computer at your house again.”
That’s funny. And legitimate advice if you have a hidden video game nerd deep within.
Marriage is all about sacrifice and selflessness. Or it’s supposed to be if you’re aiming to do things God’s way. And this applies to many things other than video games. Some wives shop too much or watch T.V. too much. Some husbands hunt too much or play sports too much.
We’re human. Sinful and selfish via human nature.
It is so easy to say but so difficult to do. To forgive, moment by moment if necessary. To wait until you are no longer angry and express your feelings. To patiently pray for your marriage. To focus on your faults and ask the Lord to reveal what you to need to change and improve rather than spending time critiquing your spouse. To be so consumed with Jesus and His passionate love that there is no room for petty anger and self righteous pride. To let go of your expectations and love your spouse unconditionally, just as they are.
I’m so convicted I might go back and edit my sarcastic beginning.
Or just close with these Christmas gift options. Cause I’m human.




3 comments:
HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love it!
I love this! I can always count on you for a good laugh. hope you're doing well! hope to see you soon. we might be in mountains this week? i'll let you know if we decide to come.
Post a Comment