Dear Donna
What do you do to get rid of the "full time stay at home mom" blues? I often feel lonely, isolated and lacking in fellowship. Please give more than just "find a playgroup" advice.
Dear Reader,
Oh my sweet lil’ lonesome dove! I can completely relate. Especially at the beginning of my mommy-hood journey. I pretty much wore pajamas every day. I think I was simply hoping for more sleep and dressing for success. I’ve made progress, though, and now wear real clothes. Most days.
We mamas have to find time to do what encourages us and makes us feel human. I do a victory dance when I put on make-up and deodorant before Sesame Street begins. Seriously. That’s a giant feat if baby has a cold or has decided to urinate immediately after the dirty diaper is removed and before you can get the fresh diaper secured.
I personally think a Caribbean cruise for you, me and 10 of our closest friends is definitely in order. That would SO encourage me and make me feel human.
In my personal experience, I have to keep my emotions in check. Finding joy in the little things and remembering how quickly the baby years go. I’ve also become proactive. I arrange lots of play dates or go-for-a-walk-dates. At least 50% are cancelled due to schedules or one of the babies being sick or fussy. But I find it’s worth the hassle. I’ve been known to travel an hour or more to meet an old and faithful friend.
A mommy-friend once told me she finds a reason to leave the house each day. Run an errand; go to a park, grocery shop. ANYthing to join the rest of the world for a brief moment. I have found working a part time job to be a GREAT outlet for me. I only work an average of 5 hours per week but it’s been such a joy! I am spoiled by an amazing husband who is able to stay with M and affords me this great privilege, so I know this won’t work for everyone.
And even though it’s last in my list of ideas, of course relying on Jesus is actually the most important step. He promises to be our friend, sticking closer than a brother. We must spend time with Him daily, letting Him be our everything. Let Him cure those baby blues and direct you to His plans and purposes for your current stage in life. Seek out opportunities to minister to other moms or volunteer in settings where your little one can join in.
“But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.” Luke 5:16
When we find ourselves in a lonely place, let’s follow His example and spend time with our Father!
And when you’re done praying, start packing your bags for our cruise...
And a little P.S. to the 4 people who read this blog. I only have 2 remaining Dear Donna questions to answer. If I receive no further thought provoking inquiries I’ll know I’ve solved the world’s problems and retire.
5 comments:
Well, as one of the four people who read your blog, I'm anxiously anticipating my invitation to the Caribbean cruise. I could DEFINITELY use one!!
I've thought ALOT about this scenario - how to battle the stay at home mom blues. Since I have two little ones in tow, some days it's just not worth getting out of the house. One baby is totally portable and two so aren't. For me, finding a network of other moms doing the same exact thing as me has really helped. I may not get to see them or their children very often, but an email/blog post/facebook status update/phone call really goes a long way in making me feel like I'm not alone in this era of life. I also get out of the house two days a week by going to grad school. For me, that's a great balance of me time and mama time. On the days I'm home with the kids, I try to have a project for the day. Something as easy as laundry, putting up the Christmas tree, going through old toys are examples.
Do you have a dear Donna version of this for dads?:) Merry Christmas!
Oh yeah, the cruise sounds great!
Single women whose jobs include being a "mom-away-from-home" to hundreds of adult children need Carribean get-aways, too! When do we leave?
Post a Comment