Dear Donna
That’s right folks. I’m back. I’ve revived this blogumn because it’s simply the right thing to do. It’s a civil service of sorts, solving the world’s problems one answer at a time. I couldn’t live with the guilt my already too long absence has created in my heart. So here I type.
The decision has nothing to do with the fact that I’m depressed about entering my 30's, pregnant, nauseous and in bed by 8:30pm every night. Absolutely nothing.
So here's our question: Why are pretzels shaped so funny?
My sweet (or salty) pretzel fan, I have never wondered this before. Though I do have a new appreciation for pretzels as they are bland and tend to stay down better than the Mexican food I unwisely chose for dinner the other evening.
Pretzels come in a variety of shapes as I’ve discovered when perusing the shelves at Ingles. I personally love the square ones, but I assume you are speaking of the rounder, criss-cross version.
Speaking of pregnancy again. And pretzels. With baby #2, this is a current craving. The big soft pretzels with nacho cheese on the side. Where can I find such a delicacy you ask? The bowling alley. In the next town over, a good 20 minute drive. I’m not a big bowler, but I will be running in to purchase my new fave snack when I’m passing by. A pregnant woman has no shame in matters of the stomach.
Okay back to your answer. Though now I’m highly distracted and wishing for a big soft pretzel with nacho cheese…
Answers.Com provided the answer I enjoyed the most, so that is to whom I defer when answering the pretzel question--
“Some historians have said that the pretzel is the oldest snack food ever developed. It is believed that the pretzel was first developed during 610 A.D. by a monk in southern France or northern Italy. Using the dough left over from bread making, he formed the pretzel shape, which was meant to look like a child's arms folded in prayer. He used these creations as treats for children that learned their prayers. He called the snacks pretiola, which means little reward in Latin. The pretiolas eventually found their way into Germany and Austria where they became known as pretzels. The pretzels grew in popularity and are said to have been brought over to America on the Mayflower in 1620. The first pretzels were of the soft variety. Legend has it that one night a baker who was baking a batch of pretzels fell asleep. When he woke up all the moisture was cooked out of them and the hard pretzel was born.”
Seriously. Anyone have some nacho cheese to go with this pretzel?
1 comment:
I'm so glad "Dear Donna" is back. I've missed this segment. I do hope you are feeling better and the nausea has subsided. Hope you are able to rest some even while trying to keep up with Marah.
Post a Comment