New Year's Blues
I was just telling a friend how the holidays were not as depressing as I anticipated. Thanksgiving and Christmas were low-key and sweet times of celebration. But then New Year's Eve arrived.
Maybe it was the thought that this was the first year in my life that I didn't have Mama. Or maybe it was M looking through photo albums and asking about this picture of my dad-
(no need to point out any appearance differences of my sister and I, thankyouverymuch :o)
Some days the blues just hit. God has been gracious and provided dear friends who text me at just the right time. Or email me free coffee. Or invite me and the crazies over to play.
It all helps. But what has been most beneficial in getting me out the slump, is God's Word. I recently began a learning process that is helping me view a lot of "emotional" issues as spiritual issues.
More counting blessings, less pity-parties. More praise music, less t.v. More Bible, less aimless reading. More running, less "resting." More fruits and veggies, less sugar and caffeine.
It takes work. Determination. Planning. Accountability. Humility. Being okay with my less-than-perfect status.
But it has made a big difference and I feel certain that 2013 will be full of hope...no matter what trails may come.
Here are the girls in front of the Me-Maw tree. We continue to talk about her, remember her and love her.
"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!"
Psalm 34:8

No comments:
Post a Comment