4.23.2013

Dut Dut Goose

E LOVES the two geese that claim our front yard as their home each spring. She calls them dut-duts (duck-ducks for those who do not speak toddler), squeals at them, chases them and "onk onks" at them on a daily basis.

There are, however, two other geese who are causing me frustration. We keep JJ (the kayak) on the edge of the lake on someone's private property. I finally convinced my sweet hubby to take JJ out of the shed and prepare her for our first spring outing. The kayak was ready. My life jacket was ready. I woke up early, anticipating a quiet and peaceful jaunt on the lake. I did NOT anticipate being chased and hissed at by geese.

This sweet mama goose chose to build her nest right where we walk the kayak into the water. I did not know this important piece of information. Mr and Mrs Goose were across the lake and I innocently walked down toward the water (and toward their unprotected baby eggs) and two seriously angry birds came out of nowhere--flying, hissing, flapping and snapping. I ran as fast as I could up a gravel hill with a 36 lb JJ in my hands.

We checked on the nest tonight. Here's Mrs Goose incubating the eggs. And Mr Goose coming to let J know he was getting a little too close.

Look at this guy. He ain't messin' around.

As I impatiently wait for the eggs to hatch, we've been sprucing up our yard and creating a sitting area on the edge of the "car-porch" as M calls it.


And adding bunnies and fairies to our flowers.

And playing outside.

This spring has been tough, but healing. Several unbloggable things have happened in our lives that have stretched me, challenged my heart and allowed me to be at peace with my grief. I am ever thankful for the beauty and new life that surrounds me during spring.


"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven...He hath made everything beautiful in its time: also he hath set eternity in their heart." Ecclesiastes 3

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm pretty upset that Google has decided to destroy Google Reader, and I just am now getting to checking all of my normal blogs. I can't believe I've missed several of yours. I love you, Friend, and am so thankful for you and the way God ministers to each of us in our unbloggable times.