Small Town
John Mellencamp says it like this...
"No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be"
My family moved to the south in the 70's and I am certain Lilburn felt like a small town. When Mama and I moved to the outskirts of the same county, that became my new reference for a small town. Then I went to college in the mountains and thought, oh, THIS is a small town. And now, I'm further into the mountains and this is truly the smallest town I've lived in.
Wal-Mart is over 30 minutes away. Restaurants are limited. The closest mall is well over an hour from us and my family is even further. I'm not "from here" and that's a tough label to lose in a small town.
I have always loved the natural beauty that surrounds us. There is peaceful serenity by the water and the majestic mountains always remind me of God's grandeur. I am certain God has called us here and I am thankful that being in the center of His will allows us to reside in such a beautfiul landscape.
When we moved here I was consumed with newborn babies and taking care of Mama. Now Mama is gone and my babies are not so time-consuming. I am building intentional relationships and can say I have friends. Here. Not just old, comfortable friendships via cell phones and computers.
These same phones and computers give me insight into what some of these old friends are doing. The live in big cities. Giant cities. They serve in churches with hundreds of people. Thousands of people. They have super-cool events at super-cool places with super-cool people. And sometimes I am tempted to wonder what if...
But recent events have deepend my heart's bond to this community, and to this sweet group of people we serve at MBC.
A few Easters ago, several people were baptised in our church. And now two of those are in heaven, well before their time in the world's eyes. The funerals were only weeks apart.
A funny, vibrant and generous 29 year old police lieutenant. A beautiful, compassionate and wonderful 52 year old teacher. Both leave behind grieving families, precious children and heart-broken spouses.
At first I was frustrated as I began to understand this aspect of small town life. It's like a giant family. When one hurts, we all hurt. The church family grieves as a whole. Even the entire town at times.
But rather than focusing on the recent loss, I am so touched by what I have witnessed around me. The prayer support, the abundance of meals delivered and the sweet selflessness of time given to meet a variety of needs.
These unique images from the two services represent what my meager words just can't fully express.

I am so proud to call this small town...home.
2 comments:
Well said, my friend. I love you and glad you are 'home'.....
I have those 'what if' feelings sometimes, but when I go home I realize that we are where we are supposed to be. I'm glad you love your new hometown!
Post a Comment