Modest IS Hottest
It truly is. The world tells us, no shouts at us, that it's not. That women and young girls alike must bare their bodies to be beautiful. Perfectly shaped, toned and tanned is preferred, but according to my recent trips to Wal-Mart, no specific requirements remain to share your skin anymore.
But I disagree and so does God's Word. It's not a popular opinion. Not one I've followed faithfully all the days of my life. And I'm not just saying this because I'm over 30 and have children.
I vividly remember being at my father's funeral when I was 20 years old and I was the the most covered up amongst my sisters and mom. I do believe they thought I was preparing to be a nun. Close. A pastor's wife.
But to clarify, I've never worn a swimsuit like this one-

But seriously. Girls. Ladies. Women. Your body is a treasure! A temple! Please treat it as such. Respect it. Respect yourself. Don't give in. Stand firm.
(Insert motivational poster here.)
It's possible to find cute and modest clothes. It may require more time and creativity, but it can be done. And I use the term "modest" knowing it means different things for different people.
Once J and I took a group of youth to a summer camp. I won't declare what specific denomination it was, but let's just say it was different from the church we attended. And we didn't know it.
I smugly packed my board shorts, that even as a tall girl, reached my knees. I was asked to change my shorts BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO SHORT.
I'm totally serious. We still laugh about it today. And I will say I completely disagree with that level of "covering up" but I also don't think it's all bad. I mean, can we be "too holy"? Discussions saved for another post.
Church used to be somewhat of a safe zone, but no longer. Short skirts, plunging necklines and bare skin are filling the pews. Again. I'm not saying this as a person who has it all figured out. I constantly question my own choices.
But I do know I want to honor my God, my husband and my job as a role model for my two sweet girls.
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12
No comments:
Post a Comment