Just when you think you've already been pushed to your limits...
...life throws a curve ball and you realize God truly gives you the strength you need to face each day.
We were trying to navigate the uncertainty of our transition--living the farthest apart ever--for the longest amount of time ever--while trying to secure housing in New York, tie up loose ends in Georgia and take care of 2 girls and a puppy in the midst of it all.
And then the unthinkable happened.
I received the heartbreaking and very unexpected phone call that Josh's sweet mom, Linda, had passed away. It was right before bedtime for the girls. They were all clean with wet hair, watching TV in their pajamas. I sat outside on the front walkway and just cried. No one had not been able to reach Josh yet. So I called him. And from thousands of miles away, had to tell him the horrible news over the phone. Knowing he was in a new city, in an empty house, all alone.
One of the hardest things I've had to do.
I went back in and told the girls I was just upset about everything going on with the move. Apparently I have cried over the stress of life enough lately that it didn't phase them too much. ;) I let them have a good night's rest, and waited until the morning to break the news to them.
I spent the next few hours contacting family and trying to "be there" as much as I could for Josh over the phone. I secured a ridiculously priced plane ticket and tried to absorb our new reality. I half-heartedly repacked suitcases I had just unpacked from a God-appointed-weekend visit with Gibby a few days prior.
Linda was our last living parent. The girls' only Gibby. No more grandparents for our sweet babies. Josh and I have no living grandparents. Josh has some amazing aunts, uncles & cousins in other states. And between the 2 of us, we have 3 awesome sisters and lots of nieces and nephews.
But. No parents. It's a heart-hurting and lonely feeling. Because even though we KNOW without a doubt we have lots of precious and supportive friends, church members and extended family that will be there for us when needed...there's something about your parent's unconditional love that can't be matched.
Except by Jesus. And I get that now more than ever.
It's nice to have that tangible relationship. A person walking this life on earth with you, who is always willing to listen, offer encouragement, challenge you, and care about YOU and every little detail in your life.
We had special Mamas. And unique Dads. And we miss them greatly. And our hearts hurt when we ponder holidays and special events for our girls. But we also trust that the Lord will provide sweet individuals (as He already has) to help bridge those gaps. They don't replace our parents, not by a million miles. But it may be a mother-like listening ear. Sound advice from someone wise that has our best interest at heart. A "church grandma" who helps babysit or brings presents to the girls...just because. Friends who help fix stuff or load stuff or cut your grass. Family who make the time to be there in a time of hurt and loss.
We choose to trust in Him even when it doesn't make sense. When it hurts. When we may have planned it differently. I remind myself to shift my thoughts to the amazing days our parents are having in heaven instead of our time on earth without them. What a glorious blessing it is to know all 4 trusted Jesus as their Savior. (even if one waited to the last minute! That's a cool story for another day)
As we grieved, we were so thankful to spend a quick weekend at the beach thanks to some amazingly generous friends. It was refreshing, relaxing and we didn't have to stay in our mostly-packed, uber messy house!
Another reminder of how He meets our needs. How He cherishes us and will see us through this mixed time of healing and transition to a new home.
Speaking of a new home. Please keep praying over the green house! Inspection was moved to this Thursday due to a broken pipe in the yard. We are praying nothing major needs to be repaired and that early occupency will be approved. So that when we close on our Ga house on Oct. 14th and drive away in a U-Haul truck...we have somewhere to go!
We are excited to move in 11 days and can't wait to spend time with our northern church family. He has prepared our hearts and we trust He will continue to prepare the way. (Even if He wants to wait to the last minute just to make sure we are learning all possible lessons involving trust). We love you all so much and appreciate the prayers, words of encouragement and sweet notes / texts / cards / emails. We are loved well.



2 comments:
I love reading your blog! Thanks for the updates!
Oh, Donna... My heart aches for you guys. Truly so, so sad to hear this. I will be lifting you guys up all the more. Thankful for these blog post updates.
Post a Comment