Happy Birthday Danny

Daniel Lloyd Christenson
March 18, 1971 - April 12, 1994
Today would have been my brother's 36th birthday. He was my very first hero, the first man to capture my heart. He wrote me secret admirer letters when I was too young to figure out he was putting them in the mail box. He took me camping on the back porch and taught me how to snap my fingers. He gained major cool points the day he gave me all of his match-box cars when he decided he was too old to play with them. He was funny, kind hearted, and the greatest big brother. He was a typical boy who could be absolutely disgusting and horridly mean, but I never wavered in my admiration. 


He joined the Army after high school and I missed him terribly. When he fought in Desert Storm I wrote poems about his bravery and watched the news with my tearful mother every night. He came home a man and settled into life in Colorado. Unexpectedly, the Lord took Danny home the spring of my 7th grade year. I was heart broken and confused. My family's journey through that sadness was very difficult. I struggled with questions and doubts and battled depression. Many years later I try to simply trust in God's sovereignty. I know my brother was a believer and I can truly rejoice in his home-going. (He is in heaven having the greatest time EVER!!) I do not intend this to be a sad post, I simply wanted to honor his memory and share his story. I remember my brother and am reminded that we do not know how long we have on this crazy place called earth. Danny's memory always brings me back to the Lord and His holy plans for our days. Are we using our days for His glory?
11 comments:
What a heartwarming post...thanks for sharing this. I have no doubt your brother is up above smiling down on you and protecting you (as big brothers do).
I just got to see my big brother this past weekend where we got to hang out without the chaos of the holidays which is usually when I get to see him. It was nice to just have fun and cut up and spend time together. Your post touched me and my heart as I know the joy of having a big brother.
Regardless of whether they are with us in real time or with us spiritually, they are ALWAYS there! Isn't it fun to be blessed with having a big brother???
HUGS!!!
that's precious, donna...
thank you for sharing!
Hey, Donna! This post is such a sweet and precious reminder to me about my brother. He is just a year older than your brother would have been and also served in Desert Storm. He was my hero, too! Although he did chase me with the weedeater one time, I've also seen pictures where he drug me around on a blanket in the yard until I fell asleep. He's also taken good care of me since our dad died. I'll share him with you if you'd like :)
I'm sure you miss him so much, and I wish I could ease your hurting heart. I want to give you a hug. Will you ask Josh to give you a hug for me?
What a special tribute to your brother! I enjoyed reading about your relationship and the imprint he left on your life. You and your family are in my prayers today. Love you, Mama B
This is such a sweet post. Thank you for sharing with us.
Ang
P.S. Our puppy is a yorki-poo. Yorkie poodle mix
Donna,
Too sweet for words. Thank you so much for sharing your heart.
Lori
Thank you for including us on such a special tribute! Lots of love to you and your family!
Dawn
Donna....
I always thought you were one of the coolest people I know. I'm positive that your bro played a huge part in shaping the woman you are today. Thanks for the challenge to make the most of our days....today, his memory shaped me, too! Thanks for sharing him with us.
Thanks Donna for dedicating this post to your brother Danny. I know you miss him greatly. Blessings sister,
Hollie
Great story and photos. Thanks for sharing. Jasper's middle name is Daniel. Lots of great Daniel's have been in this world :)
man, what a moving post...i didn't know this. thanks for sharing in such a moving way.
lol,
steph lyon
Post a Comment