The Illusion of Interaction
J and I met with a wise friend today. During the course of the conversation we were discussing event-driven youth ministry. He made the comment that kids no longer need to leave their homes to spend time with friends.
They play video games together. Text. Skype. Facebook. And a million other examples I can't name because I'm still in toddler-land.
But it made me think about myself. I'm not always up to speed in the world of technology...but I am able to handle texting and Facebook. And blogging. Obviously.
It makes me feel connected. I keep up with my friends. I see pictures. I have conversations. Even really meaningful conversations.
But it isn't as socially fulfilling as an afternoon play-date, coffee with a friend or a girls getaway to Hawaii. (husband: remember to save up for my 40th b-day)
The illusion of interaction is deceptive. It's not authentic and I must be wary of replacing person-to-person interaction with sitting in front of a computer or phone.
I support social media, technology and cell phones. I love being able to stay in touch with loved ones all over the world.
It's easy and convenient and has helped me through tough seasons in my life. But I don't want to get comfortable here.
I want to continually push my socially awkward self to make new friends. Endure hectic family gatherings. Rearrange busy schedules to spend time with friends. Smile at strangers in the grocery store. Go on a date with my husband. Ignore my phone during princess play time.
I don't want technology to get in the way of my ability to relate to the world, but rather enhance it. I never want to be too busy (or lazy) to love people like Jesus did.
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." Romans 5:8
1 comment:
Yes I love this post! Totally agree and I think awareness is key. Also keep dropping that Hawaii hint :)
Post a Comment