My Life Under Water
That's pretty much what it feels like, though I can see more of the surface than I have in the past few months.
I blogged about being diagnosed with a thyroid condition similar to Mama's. And that I began some medication. I was truly under the impression that it was a simple fix to a common problem.
And it was. And still is.
But I underestimated the far reaching and complex symptoms. Both from the condition itself and the side effects of the meds.
The first attempt to treat my thyroid was wildly successful at first. I immediately lost the stubborn water weight, had more energy and was excited about my quick fix.
Sadly, the success was short lived and I was again quickly tired, back at an unhappy weight and a super-duper-cranky-angry-woman.
I tried a second medication with similar results. Anti depressants were being suggested and I was growing frustrated. I wasn't sad...I just felt like a rubber band that was constantly taunt and ready to snap at any given moment. (and there were lots of those moments)
I recently began a third medication and I am so thankful to feel much more like myself. Though, I've traded my rubber-band-temper for extra sleepiness and a sometimes-racing-heartbeat.
I'm thankful I persevered and though I'm still in the middle of figuring it out, I learned a valuable lesson. I must truly be my own advocate, only I know how I feel.
I also confirmed (again) that Mama is always right. I remember her arguing to stay on this medication because she felt better when on it. It's an older option and most doctors favor the newer drugs.
I'm thankful this health concern is not a major one. Though having so many blood tests, appointments and medication discussions does make me feel old! I pray for more energy to keep up with the girls and continued wisdom to patiently seek out the BEST in my well-being and health care.
I covet your prayer support and welcome any advice, thoughts or ideas...you can email me so we don't violate your HIPAA rights.
1 comment:
Don, I would LOVE to talk with you about my thyroid issues... Do you have my number?!
Post a Comment