7.29.2009

Dear Donna

Why did my body turn against me when I turned 30?

Dear Reader,

I have several thoughts on this, though I simply cannot be considered an expert as I am only 28.

Sorry to rub that in, but I’m clinging to my late twenties like a drowning victim to a float.



And if my body looks like this green blob at 28, well I dare say mine didn’t wait until 30 to turn against me.

Anywho, my first thought is rebellion. Your body is angry over all the terrible decisions made innocently in your youth.

How many times did your nose breathe in Aqua Net hairspray? How many pairs of too tight jeans did you squeeze your toosh into? How many school dances led you to a crash diet? How many trapper keepers were your hands forced to open and close? Were your eyes worn from reading Ramona Quimby books with a flash light?



If you weren’t a reader, then we all know your eyes were consumed with TGIF on ABC each week.



And the countless hours of bad 90’s music your ears endured was probably reason enough for the rebellion.



I am capable of a deeper meaning here as well. 30 year old reader, I do know you are married and I also see it as God’s challenge to married couples. Do you really mean you will love this other person unconditionally, for all eternity? Even if things begin to sag, jiggle and droop?

I think that question should be added into marriage vows.

Reader you are beautiful and to the outside world your body is in no sort of rebellion. We must all remember the following verse and I suppose I should begin to cling to this truth instead of my late 20’s.

1 Samuel 16:7 - "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

2 comments:

Amie Kirk said...

Haha! Donna, you make me laugh! I need to come up with a good question for you just because I enjoy reading your answers so much :o)

Sarah said...

Balki! I looooved Balki!